If you suffer from dry eyes, you're not alone. In fact, dry eye is one of the most common eye problems. But what exactly is dry eye and what can you do about it?
Dry eye occurs when the tears are not of the right consistency to keep the tears from evaporating. This can lead to discomfort, redness, and a burning sensation. It can also make it difficult to wear contact lenses or to use the computer for long periods of time. There are a number of things that can cause dry eye, including medications, environmental factors, and certain medical conditions. But the good news is that there are treatments available to help relieve the symptoms of dry eye. Here are a few lifestyle changes that you can do to help relieve your symptoms.
• Daily warm compresses and eyelid hygiene
• Avoid smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
• Use a humidifier in your home or office to help add moisture to the air.
• Take breaks during extended periods of computer use.
• Blink often to keep your eyes lubricated.
Links to learn more about Dry Eye Syndrome